The Huntsville Junior Service League thrives on the motto of: “What we do only has value if we give it away.” -Anonymous
Below you will find a multitude of the projects that we as a League stand behind with our full heart and soul. We are always looking for new opportunities to serve Walker County. Should you have a project or service opportunity for us to consider please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advocates for Children:
- Head Start Pre–K – The League provides snacks and treats throughout the school year to aid in events and celebrations. League members also help during the Christmas season through the adoption of children from their angel tree.
- Special Kids Rodeo: The League provides and serves snacks and drinks to Special Education students from area schools attending the Walker County Fair activites. (Annually, April)
- Scare on the Square: League members host a booth in the downtown square where trick-or-treaters come for games, food and fun. (Annually, October)
- Wounded Warrior Banquet: League members serve dinner to attendees and assist in the auction for the annual fundraiser. (Annually, January)
- Ducks Unlimited Banquet: League members serve dinner to attendees of the annual fundraiser. (Annually, February)
- Shot in the Dark Annual Golf Tournament: League members assist the Walker County Chamber of Commerce set up the course throughout the day/night. The 4-man golf scramble begins with the first 9 holes played in the daylight and last 9 played after dark. (Annually, May)
- Fair on the Square: League members assist in day of logistics for the annual fair the Walker County Chamber of Commerce hosts. 300+ vendors sign up for booths and where over 30,000 patrons attend from several counties. (Annually, October)
- Care Center Banquet: League members serve dinner to attendees and assist in the auction for the annual fundraiser. (Annually, October)
- School Hygiene Project: League members donate various hygiene products that are given to schools within Walker County. Items consist of deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, laundry soap, lice treatments, undergarments, etc. (Monthly)
- Hospitality House: Our league members provide a home cooked meal and fellowship for prison families staying within the Hospitality House. (Monthly)
- Mobile Food Truck: The League arranges for an 18- wheeler of food from the Houston food bank to travels to Walker County and provide fresh produce and other groceries to citizens who are in need. (Quarterly)
- Say Yes to the Dress: The league helps to provide a solution for high school girls who cannot financially afford a prom dress so they can attend their prom without that expense. (Annually, April)
- Care Center: The league hosts a bridal shower for ladies who complete a series of parenting classes at the center designed to educate them on various aspects of raising a healthy child or children. Each of the mothers and their babies are showered with love and are given gifts that would be received at a traditional baby shower. (Annually, October)
- Santa Shop: In December, the League provides an opportunity for children to shop for free Christmas gifts for their parents in our Santa Shop. Over 1300 gifts have been given in the first two years alone. (Annually, December)
- Meals on Wheels: League members deliver meals to homebound seniors through the Meals on Wheels program every Friday. (Weekly)
- Senior Center Bingo: League members provide prizes and host Bingo games at the Walker County Senior Center. (Monthly)
- Fuzzy Socks: The League packages and delivers fuzzy socks to a local nursing home at Valentine’s. (Annually)
- Endowed Scholarship: Each year we award a scholarship to a graduating high school senior to contribute towards their admission into Sam Houston State University for their pursuit of higher education.