For 40 years Huntsville Junior Service League has been a partner to many of the local charities of Walker County. We happily support charities in many ways, including through providing volunteers at fundraiser banquets for groups such as Wounded Warrior, … Continue reading
The Huntsville Junior Service League has been serving Walker County for over 40 years. We strive to impact our community through many outreach programs, projects and events, and through the support of local organizations and charities. We host two fundraisers … Continue reading
In 2012 the Huntsville Junior Service League embarked upon a new service adventure when hiring the first food truck from the Houston Food Bank to come to Huntsville. The truck delivered fresh fruit and vegetables to be distributed to any … Continue reading
Through our 40 years of service and hundreds of ladies, our eyes have been opened to many ways that we can positively impact our community. One way we have been serving over the last 2.5 years is through the delivery … Continue reading
The Huntsville Junior Service League has been serving Walker County for over 40 years. The league is comprised of women who have a heart for the people of our community and the desire to make it a better place for all. We strive to impact our community through many outreach programs, projects and events, and through the support of local organizations and charities.
Below you will find a multitude of the projects that we as a League stand behind with our full heart and soul.
Advocates for Children:
- Head Start Pre–K – The League provides snacks and treats throughout the school year to aid in events and celebrations. League members also help during the Christmas season through the adoption of children from their angel tree.
- Special Kids Rodeo:The League provides and serves snacks and drinks to Special Education students from area schools attending the Walker County Fair activities. (Annually, April)
- Scare on the Square:League members host a booth in the downtown square where trick-or-treaters come for games, food and fun. (Annually, October)
- Wounded Warrior Banquet:League members serve dinner to attendees and assist in the auction for the annual fundraiser. (Annually, January)
- Ducks Unlimited Banquet:League members serve dinner to attendees of the annual fundraiser. (Annually, February)
- Shot in the Dark Annual Golf Tournament:League members assist the Walker County Chamber of Commerce set up the course throughout the day/night. The 4-man golf scramble begins with the first 9 holes played in the daylight and last 9 played after dark. (Annually, May)
- Fair on the Square:League members assist in day of logistics for the annual fair the Walker County Chamber of Commerce hosts. 300+ vendors sign up for booths and where over 30,000 patrons attend from several counties. (Annually, October)
- Care Center Banquet: League members serve dinner to attendees and assist in the auction for the annual fundraiser. (Annually, October)
- School Hygiene Project:League members donate various hygiene products that are given to schools within Walker County. Items consist of deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, laundry soap, lice treatments, undergarments, etc. (Monthly)
- Hospitality House:Our league members provide a home cooked meal and fellowship for prison families staying within the Hospitality House. (Monthly)
- Mobile Food Truck:The League arranges for an 18- wheeler of food from the Houston food bank to travels to Walker County and provide fresh produce and other groceries to citizens who are in need. (Quarterly)
- Say Yes to the Dress:The league helps to provide a solution for high school girls who cannot financially afford a prom dress so they can attend their prom without that expense. (Annually, April)
- Care Center: The league hosts a bridal shower for ladies who complete a series of parenting classes at the center designed to educate them on various aspects of raising a healthy child or children. Each of the mothers and their babies are showered with love and are given gifts that would be received at a traditional baby shower. (Annually, October)
- Santa Shop: In December, the League provides an opportunity for children to shop for free Christmas gifts for their parents in our Santa Shop. Over 1300 gifts have been given in the first two years alone. (Annually, December)
- Meals on Wheels: League members deliver meals to homebound seniors through the Meals on Wheels program every Friday. (Weekly)
- Senior Center Bingo:League members provide prizes and host Bingo games at the Walker County Senior Center. (Monthly)
- Fuzzy Socks: The League packages and delivers fuzzy socks to a local nursing home at Valentine’s. (Annually)
- Endowed Scholarship:Each year we award a scholarship to a graduating high school senior to contribute towards their admission into Sam Houston State University for their pursuit of higher education.
Over the next few weeks, we will highlight some of the projects we support. With only 50 members last year, the organization as a whole served a total of 2819 hours in pursuit of supporting our neighbors and friends in Walker County.
We host two fundraisers a year so we can continue to fund the good deeds of the league. In just over 40 years, the Huntsville Junior Service League has donated over $234,000 to projects in Walker County. It is our great desire to continue to support the community through the service of time and monetary backing.
Our largest fundraiser and celebration of women in service, The Mother of Pearl Brunch and Auction, is April 29th. To make the event as successful as possible, we are looking for businesses or individuals to help sponsor event. If you are interested in more information, please contact any JSL member or email us at email@example.com.
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) was adopted as a service project in the fall of 1976, with League instructors trained in Houston by the American Heart Association. The goal of the service project was to certify at least one person in each … Continue reading
1976 was a big year for America…the 200th birthday of our nation! Celebrations erupted all over the nation. Huntsville was no exception, and had a grand celebration to honor the 200th birthday of the U.S. Wishing to contribute to the Bicentennial … Continue reading
Happy Anniversary to us! Forty years ago the Huntsville Junior Service League was conceived as a result of a dinner party at the home of Judi Richards. The founding members Katherine Dowling, Sharon Driessner, Jane Henderson, DJ Hinton, Jane Monday, … Continue reading